Vichy France

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Vichy France

Post  wfrad on Sun 15 Aug 2010, 6:59 am

Organisations of Vichy France
Thought Id done this chart already but I seem to have lost it when my old computer went west.
Basically a labour service brought into being by the necessity of something to do with those who had been called up but were still in training.
The problem for the Germans was a simple case of logistics as they were shunting so many men and materials, including prisoners both military and civilian it was decided to form the French labour corps out of those not quite soldiers and make use of them.
Also this idea suited many in the Vichy government wishing to prevent even more Frenchmen ending up in Germany.
Regards
WF

Source Foreign Legions of the Third Reich Vol1, David Littlejohn

wfrad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Vichy France

Post  ChrisF202 on Sun 15 Aug 2010, 12:18 pm

Excellent job Bill.

One question; what is ment by "Comm" and "Commiss" ... I am assume that is shorthand for Commissaire?

ChrisF202

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Chantiers

Post  wfrad on Sun 15 Aug 2010, 6:11 pm

I far as I aware yes, all young men of conscription age had to serve for at first six months later increased to eight months,
Six regional Commissariats in metro France and one in North Africa with a naval Chantiers formed in 1941.
Chantiers were also apparently formed in French prisoner of war camps but unlike a large number of the Milice the organisation was not in general into collaboration or wildly pro German.
Also a Youth and Mountain section was formed which was voluntary, as I believe was the naval section.
Regards
WF

wfrad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum