Australian Rifle Team at Bisley

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Australian Rifle Team at Bisley

Post  Sean on Wed 19 May 2010, 1:17 pm

I've had a request from Australia regarding the photo shown below.

"I am trying to identify the uniform in the attached photo and I came across your web site with a mention of 116. Member Australian Rifle Team Bisley 1907. I wonder if you could look at the attached photo and let me know if this could be the uniform. At first glance it appears to be an Australian Army officer's uniform but there are no pips or other insignia. The medals I think are Bisley Rifle uniforms. The man is John Herbert Williams, born at The Lodden, Victoria in 1873. I could find no record of war service for him. He may have been in the Sandhurst Detachment of the 4th Battalion. He was in the Australian rifle team at Bisley and won quite a few medals for rifle shooting.
I would appreciate any help you can give me."

http://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/12/22/09/10/aus_bi10.jpg

I responded:
"The jacket fits the desription of that worn by the Rifle Clubs formed around Australia before WW1. The only thing missing is a brass title of 'RC'on the shoulder straps.
The cap, however, is new to me. Whilst it looks like an officer's pattern the crown and cloth chinstrap set it apart from the military pattern of the time. That does not mean that it wasn't worn by Rifle Club members.
The medals and sleeve patch certainly indicate Bisley awards, but I don't know enough about this area of research.

Can anyone add to the discussion?

Sean

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top