Ogilby Trust files - Benson-Freeman

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ogilby Trust files - Benson-Freeman

Post  Sean on Fri 27 Jun 2008, 3:53 pm

I've spent two days this week looking through small boxes of uniform information and clippings collected by the Ogilby trust. These are held by the National Army Museum and can be viewed through the Reading Room (pre-order).
The Army Museum Ogilby Trust used to collect information on uniform and badge history a promote the British Army, and hence have a good store of colonial information as well.
Importantly these boxes hold the work of Benson-Freeman who collected a great store of info on units' histories and where possible badges and uniforms. He had a great store of British Yeomanry info.
I have been looking for these notes for years, since I found a reference to them in Tylden's Armed Forces of South Africa. They are sketchy but a great source of basic info.
I have had a great deal of fun looking through the boxes and still have 20 to do on Canadian units, 5 on military bands and a handful on the Yeomanry and foreign armies. It'll keep me busy for another weekend.
Highly recommend it for British army researchers as well as this was the main focus of the collection. There are a large number of boxes on Brit army, regulars, militia and volunteers.
The pity is I don't have enough time to look through the Brit volunteer boxes as I'm moving soon.

Sean

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ogilby Trust files - Benson-Freeman

Post  servicepub on Wed 23 Jul 2008, 12:47 am

Sean
Thanks for your lead. Based on your info I did a quick search on the Canadian Library & Archives web-site and came up with this; http://mikan3.archives.ca/pam/public_mikan/index.php?fuseaction=genitem.displayItem&lang=eng&rec_nbr=186747&rec_nbr_list=186747,3140360,3140340,3140322,3140310,3140294,3140279,3140265,3140253,3140242
It is two sketchbook volumes, presumably Canadian content, which have been copied to microfilm. I have asked for an inter-library loan of this material and will report back.
Cheers,
Clive

servicepub

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean on Wed 23 Jul 2008, 10:17 pm

Glad it helps

Sean

View user profile

Back to top Go down